Thursday, February 17, 2022

Chapter 1: Mystery or Drama

What's up! In A Level, we've started our portfolio project. This year I want to go for a mystery or a teen drama type of thing, so I've been watching some trailers as a part of my research on the genre. To briefly cover my jumbled thoughts, I want my story to center around a close knit group of teens who rely on each other to escape from their personal issues. If I were to go with mystery, it would be about the disappearance of the friend group. However, if I were to stick with the drama it would just focus on the individual conflicts of the teens and their escape from reality I guess.

I’ll first discuss some of the mystery trailers I watched.

I first watched the Outer Banks trailer to get a feel for mystery, I know it’s a tv series but it had the vibe I was thinking about. If I were to go for mystery this trailer would be very helpful. I liked how one of the main characters briefly gave an introduction to his town and friends and how they transitioned that to the mysteries the group of teens are discovering. The soundtrack is also iconic.

 Outer Banks Trailer

The trailer for I Know What You Did Last Summer was good as well. I loved the fast paced editing during the end that helped build tension, curiosity, and mystery. The darker lighting and music choices were aspects of the trailer that I enjoyed as well.

IKWYDLS Trailer

Now moving on to the Cruel Summer trailer, it wasn’t my favorite. It just felt kind of boring and flat. The story was pretty understandable which was this nerdy girl who became “popular” after the previous popular girl went missing and this needy is the main suspect of the popular girl’s disappearance. The dark lighting kept true to the mystery genre, which I liked, but other than that the trailer felt empty and boring, and it didn’t have that same vibe I was looking for.

Cruel Summer Trailer

I’m now going to be discussing some of the trailers I watched for my research on the drama genre. My teacher gave me these recommendations and I loved them all, and watching them was what made me finally choose my drama option.

The trailer for Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was my favorite. I had the exact vibe I was envisioning in my head. It’s just about this close group of friends all dealing with their separate issues but relying on each other for support. I liked that each character could have their conflict introduced a little bit. 

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants Trailer

I think the How to Make an American Quilt trailer was a good way to show me some more drama conventions. This trailer was helpful in showing me how I could make a trailer that focused more on the conflict to come in the movie.

How to Make an American Quilt Trailer

My original idea was just the drama route, and after watching a bunch of trailers I think I’m going to stick with that route.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Introduction